Bully's Brownies

My hubby's grandmother, Veronica Boquel, was called Bully by her grandchildren, not because she was, well, a bully, but because she was born under the astrological sign of Taurus and wore a bull on her charm bracelet. His grandfather, Pierre, went by Happy Days, which had to do with martini's, but that's a story for another day. I did not know Bully, having only seen her twice before she passed away.

I acquired her recipe for brownies through one of my six sisters-in-law in 1993. The recipe came from a 1950 issue of Family Circle. It's quick and simple and good!



Bully's Brownies

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 -1 ounce cakes unsweetened chocolate, melted.
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup all-purpose flower
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease a 11x7x1 1/2" pan

Beat eggs until thick and lemon colored; add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy

Stir in vanilla, melted chocolate and butter

Fold in flour, salt, and 3/4 cups nuts; stir just until blended.

Pour batter into pan - sprinkle nuts on top

Bake 20 minutes, or until top is firm.

Cool 5 minutes. Cut and remove at once.

I made a few changes to the recipe. Instead of two eggs I used four egg whites (I used the yolk in an ice cream base earlier). I hand whipped the whites until they were thick and then added the sugar.  I used four tablespoons of cocoa powder instead of the chocolate cakes. I stirred the cocoa into the melted butter and then added it to the egg whites. I also let it cook 3 minutes longer.I let the brownies cool completely in the pan before cutting and removing them.

The outcome was a very nice light, but rich brownie, albeit thinner than I am used to.

The hubby gives them a big thumbs up!
















Comments

  1. These are the same ingredients as my "Fudgy Brownie" recipe, which came from a Betty Crocker cookbook that belonged to one of my college roommates. The only difference is that the Betty Crocker version is baked in an 8x8 pan. The Betty Crocker recipe called for 2 1-ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate, which we never had. The recipe gave the substitution for 1 ounce of unsweetened baking chocolate is 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder plus 1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil and that is what we always used. I made these brownies a zillion times. In the 80s, these became my family's go to brownie recipe. We often substituted 1 cup chocolate chips or mint chocolate chips for the nuts. (In the 8x8 pan, they bake for 30-35 minutes.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your husband's grandpa has many things in common with my grandpa lol. Anyway, I always appreciate tried and true recipes. And a recipe that stood up through all these years then it must be really good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment