Kale and Apple Quinoa Salad

As the weather warms up, I am always looking for recipes that don't require a great deal of heating up my kitchen to prepare. I love eating salads in the warm weather and just last night found a new one to add to my arsenal, Kale and Apple Quinoa Salad. It's great served warm or at room temperature and since it does not have a dressing on it that will spoil, it is perfect for a picnic.

I found this recipe in a handout that I picked up from our local Fresh Market.



Kale and Apple Quinoa Salad

Serves 4-6

2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup kale leaves, stems removed, rough chopped
2 cups quinoa, cooked and cooled
1 cup apple, cored and chopped
1/4 cup raw pecans
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/2 lemon, juiced
 Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cool for another 1-2 minutes. Add kale and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until kale softens and turns bright green. Remove from heat.

Toss onion-kale mixture with the cooked quinoa and add all remaining ingredients.

I did add a little more kale than it called for and used an entire apple. I also bumped up the pecans and cranberries because I really like them!

What is a favorite salad of yours?


Comments