What's in Your Vegetable Bin?

Update:  The curried lentil soup was delicious!  The colors were not as pretty as they would have been if I had used red and yellow lentils, but the taste was wonderful.  My hubby did break out the bottle of hot sauce to spice his up a bit more, but I liked mine just the way it came out of the pot.  I grilled pita bread that had been brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with coarse black pepper and kosher salt to round out the dish.  Yum!

So yesterday the weather was COLD.  It never got above freezing and for Middle Georgia that is cold.  Our average January high is 52 degrees.  Keeping in the pantry challenge mode, I decided to make potato cheddar soup.  When I grabbed out the potato basket I found one russet, two Yukon gold, four red, and one sweet potato.  Throwing the sweet potato back into the basket, I used the rest of the potatoes (and some were really wrinkled and looked like they were ready for spring planting) and made Three Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese. 

Here's my recipe:

Three Potato Soup with Cheddar Cheese
Makes about 12 cups

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup white onion, diced
3 tablespoons flour
6 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 1/2 cups milk (I used a combination of 1% and half and half)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, plus additional for garnishing
1/4 cup sliced green onion

1. Heat olive oil in heavy pot over a medium high heat.  Add onions and stir for 2-3 minutes, just until starting to brown and get soft.

2. Add flour and stir for 1 minute.

3. Slowly add broth, stirring so as not to get lumps of flour.  Add milk.  Add potatoes, salt and pepper.  bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.  Cook for approximately 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

4. Mash with potato masher to desired texture. (I like a few lumps!) Add cheese and stir until melted.  Adjust seasonings.

5.  Ladle into deep bowls and top with additional cheese and sliced green onions.

Note: If you like a thinner consistency soup, add more milk once the cheese has melted.  Stir to incorporate.

Enjoy!

Comments