Pantry Challenge

I keep a pretty well stocked pantry.  Lots of canned tomatoes, a wide variety of beans, rices and other grains, and pasta. Add to that cans of green chili peppers, tons of spices, and the ever present jar of Paul Newman's Own pasta sauce.

Needing to rotate stock out, I am going to play "Pantry Challenge."  On the days I cook this month, which will not every day as we always have leftovers to eat, I am going to stand in my pantry and prepare our dinner from what I can pull off the shelves.  I have plenty of chicken, pork, and lean beef in my freezer so I'll use these up too. Of course I'll keep fresh veggies handy to round out the meal if needed.  It ought to be fun!

So here goes...

This morning I looked at all of the shelves and found two pounds of lentils.  I remembered seeing a recipe for curried lentil soup recently so I dug it out and, other than that recipe calling for red and yellow lentils (mine are brown), I have everything I need to prepare the recipe.  So curried lentil soup it is. Add  salad and some warm flat bread and supper is ready.

I'll still have a pound of lentils left but that's okay.

Here's the recipe:

Curried Lentil Soup
Serves 8

3 tablespoons butter
4 garlic cloves, smashed
1 red onion, diced
2 bay leaves
1 dried chili pepper
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
5 sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
1 cup red lentils
1 cup yellow lentils
8 cups water or chicken broth

Heat butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Add smashed garlic and diced onion; sauté 6 minutes.  Add the turmeric, curry powder, bay leaves and chili pepper and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and lentils and 8 cups water or chicken broth. 

Simmer until the lentils are soft, about 1 hours.  Season with salt.

I'll let you know it turns out!

Comments