Pantry Challenge Week Four

This week's pantry challenge has been, well a  bit of challenge, as we are having renovations done to our bathroom and I was out of commission earlier this week due to a minor "procedure."  Despite these obstacles I was able to pull together two meals. 

Monday I made a version of Black Rice Curried Meatloaf  from one of my personal chef friends, Patti Anastasia. I had only a great wild rice blend in my pantry so I substituted it for black rice.  The rice added such a great texture to the dish and the mango chutney had just the right amount of tangy and sweetness. I gave my dear hubby a slice for his lunch the next day and when he got home he commented that he had some fuzzy stuff on the top of the slice. I reminded him that it did have mango chutney on it and the fuzzy was okay to eat!  Be sure to visit Patti's website, Anastasia's Table.  She has wonderful food related information, as well as great recipes!


On Wednesday I made Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas. I had everything needed except for the flour tortillas which were quickly procured at the grocery store.  I love this recipe!  While we didn't, a side of Spanish rice can be added to round out the meal.

                                     


Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas

1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless
2 teaspoons taco seasoning ( I make my own.)
3 slices bacon
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 10-ounce cans enchilada sauce (you can choose the heat factor)
1 16-ounce can black beans, drained, but not rinsed
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
12 flour tortillas, 6 inch size
9 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded (can use Monterey Jack cheese too)


1. Cut chicken into short, thin strips.  Toss with taco seasoning. Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp.  Remove and drain on paper towel.  Crumble when cool.

2. Cook chicken and garlic in bacon drippings until chicken is no longer pink.  Stir in 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce, black beans, cumin, and salt.  Simmer until till thickened, stirring occasionally.  Stir in green onion and reserved bacon.

3. Spoon a heaping 1/4-cup bean mixture down center of each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons cheese.  Roll up; place seam side down in 9" x  13" lightly greased casserole dish.  Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over enchiladas.  Top with remaining cheese and cover with foil.

4. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for approximately 40 to 45 minutes.

Top baked enchiladas with your favorite toppings such as avocado, tomatoes, shredded lettuce or sour cream.

Comments