New Year, New Focus, New Name

I took a look at my blog today for the first time in, well four years, and was aghast that it has been that long since my last post. FOUR YEARS!!

Let's see. Since my last post:
  • I retired
  • Went back to a non-cooking job, part-time
  • Retired, again
  • Went back to the same non-cooking job (It's great to be needed!)
  • Continued as a demo chef with our local hospital in their Cancer Wellness program.
  • Closed my personal chef business
  • Left the Cancer Wellness program
  • Supported my husband on an eight month journey as he thru hiked the Appalachian Trail, all 2189.8 miles of it
  • Traveled to Israel and Scotland
  • Retired (really!) for the final time
  • Joined a wonderful team at Hal's Kitchen as a support chef for corporate and community cooking opportunities, and
  • Am about to become a grandmother for the first time.
I think that about sums up the past four years. 

So now I am back to cooking for two, my DH and me. Some weeks I am spot on with my menu planning and we eat well. Other weeks, well, not so much. This is one of the good weeks!

Last week I worked at Hal's Kitchen with an incredible bunch of women. There were about sixty guests with an all female cooking team. The energy level was at an all-time high! One of the recipes served was Kale Tabbouleh. Knowing that I had kale in the crisper I decided to make it for last night's supper. I served it with stuffed cabbage rolls and warm naan. My DH usually likes anything I put in front of him but I was a bit concerned that this dish might be just a bit too green for him. He loved it! I think you will too.


Kale Tabbouleh
Serves 8-10

1/2 cup uncooked red quinoa (I used tri-colored but plain quinoa will work too)
8 cups finely chopped kale (tough stems removed)
3 cups finely chopped flat leaf parsley leaves (about 2 big bunches)
2 1/2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes (about 4 medium tomatoes)
1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about three lemons)
1/3 extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1. Prepare quinoa according to directions and allow to cool completely.
2. In a large bowl, combine cooled quinoa, kale, parsley, tomatoes, onion, and mint, stirring to mix thoroughly.
3. In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, making sure that all salt is dissolved. Pour dressing over kale mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. (I added a bit more lemon juice.)
4. Although you can serve immediately, refrigerating it for at least an hour or two will let the flavors meld.

Can be refrigerated, covered, for several days.

Source: Hal's Kitchen

NOTE: Make sure you put the quinoa somewhere that a dog can't reach it. I discovered Mick Beagle standing on my table hoovering up all of the quinoa. Needless to say the second batch was well out of his reach.

As for the resurrection of my blog...the name has changed to reflect where I do my cooking these days. The blog address is still the same as before...I couldn't figure out how to change it. I hope that some of the recipes I share will make there way into your kitchen.


 







Comments