Snow Day, Beer Bread and Friends

About every ten years or so Atlanta and its southern neighboring counties gets a real snow storm. One that puts a halt to doing anything except staying home, building snowmen, drinking hot chocolate, and watching the kids sled Peachtree City style...on a boogie board tied behind a golf cart! Unfortunately I did not get a photo of this, but I am sure that you can visualize the scene. I did however get a couple of pictures taken early this morning from the warmth of my house and one of the Beagle Boys as they venture out for a walk...at their insistence.




Given that I wasn't going to make it to the grocery store as planned, I rummaged through my freezer and found a container of "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" soup. Perfect for the day that would not get above freezing. I love fresh bread or hard rolls with my soup. Unfortunately I had neither.  Then it hit me...beer bread! I haven't made beer bread in years but knew just where to go for the recipe.

In the late 70's and early 80's we lived in Clarksville, Tennessee while my hubby was stationed at Fort Campbell, Kentucky. We bought the first home built on Victory Drive and soon the other new  homes were occupied, each and every one of them by a military family. My across the street neighbors were The Grays. Like us they were fairly newly married with no children. Our husbands were in the same unit and we wives were both teachers so we had a lot in common. The five years there were wonderful! We shared births, deaths, deployments, home break-ins, and many meals and happy times together. Also shared were recipes and beer bread is one that she shared with me.


If you look closely at the upper right corner of the card you will see the year 1982. Where has the time gone since our carefree days on Victory Drive?

The recipe is much like other beer bread recipes that you can find on the Internet or that you may even have yourself. What makes this different is that it came from a friend. Someone who I have not seen in 30 years but still consider a friend. Those who have ever experienced the military life know that just because someone moves to a new duty station the friendship does not end.


So as we enjoy our soup and beer bread this evening I will be reminded of my dear friend and the wonderful times we had so many years ago.







Comments