Viking Cooking School Goes to the Dogs

Less you think that the title of this blog besmirches the fine reputation of The Viking Cooking School, let me assure you that it does not. The Viking Cooking School, known for its great classes for humans, has recently expanded their audience to include canines with their Cookies for Canines class. No, our four legged friends weren't wearing an apron and a torque, but their owners were and were baking up some delectable treats for them.

Yes, I know that many of us, including me, have taken pet ownership a bit too far, but my two guys, Bud and Miller, are truly part of the family. In fact, they have no idea that they are dogs, much less pets. So on a recent Sunday I, along with 11 other doggie parents spent three hours making treats good enough for us to eat, I know because I tried most of them, for our four-legged children.

Chef Lou led the class with the ease of a seasoned chef. One would never have known that it was his first time teaching canine inspired recipes! 

Over the course of the afternoon, we made five different treats, Peanut Butter Cookies, Breath-Busting Biscuits, Pupcakes, Bow-Wow Brownies - my guys favorite, and Hand-Decorated Gourmet Dog Biscuits. Each recipe was made with foods that we humans use everyday such as whole-wheat flour, honey, apples, mint, low-fat yogurt, and cream cheese. See I told you they were good enough to eat! I decided that the Pupcakes would be great with a cup of coffee!
Pupcakes 
Yummy Treats!

At the end of the class we packaged up our treats and headed home to hopefully receive glowing praises for our culinary expertise in canine cooking. I had no doubts that my boys would lavish me with their high praises for preparing such healthy and tasteful treats for them. I should clarify here that I have beagles and they eat everything that comes near their mouths!

I arrived home to the baying and tail wagging afforded to me regardless how long I have been away, 5 minutes, 5 hours, matters not to them, they are glad see me. Of course they know they get a treat every time I come home so I'm sure they were putting on a good show for my sake.  I was convinced that they knew that the treats in the boxes were for them, or maybe I just wanted to think that, but regardless they were quite interested in seeing what came from them.




I am happy to report that Bud and Miller both enjoyed every treat lovingly prepared for them! They seemed to especially like the Peanut-Butter Cookies and the Bow-Wow Brownies, but what's not to love about carob chips and cream cheese!

Comments